Manny Road End Home Page

• External Links
  • StokieDonald MayAugust 9, 2014 : 09:48
    Date Registered:
    August 9, 2014

Number of Posts: 2

Hi
    A Stoke City fan here.I work in Shropshire for Ambulance service.Today I had a former player of yours named Donald May.Don't know if there is anyone on this board that can remember him, I'm guessing he played around the mid/late sixties. Unfortunately I couldn't have much of a chat to him as he suffered with vascular dementia. Sadly I took him to a rest home from a house he built himself in a place called Broseley.He seemed a nice chap and when I told him I supported Stoke City he mentioned Stanley Matthews and Gordon Banks but then went back into his shell. Would love to know more about him. What position he played?.Did he play all his career with Bury?. Goalscoring record?. Etc....

JONNODonald MayAugust 10, 2014 : 03:47
    Date Registered:
    August 10, 2014

Don May, born in May 1931, was a right-sided wing-half or inside-forward with Bury for more than 10 seasons, from 1951 to 1961, during which time he played 134 League games and eight in the FA Cup and scored 11 League goals. He was most prominent from seasons 1954-5 to 1957-8 and played 30-plus games in each of the middle two of those seasons,in the Second Division. In fact Bury had never been lower than the Second Division until 1957, so Don had the dubious pleasure of playing in the last season of the Third Division North. As you can tell by his record, he was one of those players, not uncommon in those days, who yo-yoed between the first team and the reserves, and in the Central League he must have played many times on all the great grounds of the North and Midlands, the Manchesters, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, WBA, Wolves, Hillsborough, yea even the Victoria Ground at Stoke. He was composed and compact, with blond wavy hair, a gentleman on the field and off. His last season was 1960-1, though he never played a League game in it. A pity, because it was Bury's annus mirabilis, a record-breaking season in several regards, including goals scored and points gained,and it would have been nice for such a great servant of the club to have played a small part in it. Don was born and bred in Broseley and inevitably went back to the family building business when he retired from football. In the years when I used to dash around the country with work I often thought I'd try to look in on him, but never did, and it's too late now. Many thanks for updating us on him, Stokie, even though it's not happy news. If you see him again, do assure him that there are still people in Bury and elsewhere who remember him with respect and affection.

StokieDonald MayAugust 10, 2014 : 09:35
    Date Registered:
    August 9, 2014

Wow!!! Thanks for the info Jonno. Unfortunately was not the best of circumstances to met him in. It was his granddaughter that told me about him as the man himself could not comprehend. she also told me that a Bury fan had been writing to him wanting his a to graph as he had all the team except Don but he wouldn't sign anything because he thought he was after his money.this was due to the onset of dementia.
    Regards Stokie
    Be Loyal, Be Proud, Be Stoke

Message Board
    reply to this topic