Manny Road End Home Page

  • External Links
  • Bury 4 Blackpool 3

    by The Boy Holty

    First, an apology to the Blackpool fans. The dickheads who held up a banner supporting the Osytons were demonstrating an opinion that was not representative of 99% of Bury supporters, or indeed football supporters in general. They were just trying to wind up the Blackpool followers. We, like most sports enthusiasts are disgusted at the actions and behaviour of the owners of Blackpool FC and we hope for the sake of football that it gets resolved soon.

    Now on with the game. You could say it was a feisty affair, and you'd be right. For starters, the 1500 Blackpool fans were obsessed with the club ownership situation - I didn't hear a single song or chant supporting the team, just a lot of vitriolic abuse denouncing the Oystons. The Bury fans, as mentioned, were lapping this up and the younger ones who park themselves in the South Stand, as close to the away fans as possible were winding them up with counter chants and songs and during the first half, when the aforementioned banner was held up, they almost caused a riot so with all that going on in the stands it was easy to miss that fact that football had broken out on the pitch.

    Bury made a fabulous start and Chris Hussey, in his finest appearance in a Bury shirt created the first two goals with pin-point balls from corners before scoring our third directly from a free kick. For 1-0 and 2-0, it was Danny Rose who was Johhny-On-The-Spot bundling the ball over the line on both occasions.

    Before Hussey's goal, Reece Brown had smashed a back-pass to Austrian Keeper Bachmann who failed to control it and Mark Cullen did well to round the stranded keeper and knock it into an empty net. Brown's fault, not the keeper's.

    Soon later, Tom Soares had gathered the ball in the middle of the park and thundered home Bury's fourth as we went into dreamland.

    Just before half time, we conceded a goal as soft as the first as a corner resulted in a free header for Blackpool's second to make it 4-2.

    I'm fairly sure its the first 4-2 half time score I've seen Bury involved in, and only the fourth time I can remember seeing us rack up four first half goals.

    The second half was just as competitive but less goal-ified as a soft penalty gave Blackpool some hope but Bury held on for a great three points and a tremendously entertaining game of football.

    The last few games have been incredible fun to watch and the atmos these days is as good as I can ever remember it in my 24 or 25 years watching the Shakers.

    Cameron was missing today and it was clearly apparent as more or less all three of Blackpool's goals were completely avoidable. Leon was also absent but we scored four so that was no great shakes. We got a first glimpse of Chris Eagles in a home match and he didn't really do much, but given chance to get fit, I'm confident he won't be another David Healy. We're still missing Tutte and Etuhu because with Soares and Mellis holding the fort in midfield, we looked vulnerable.

    Also Danny Mayor played but might as well have stayed at home, I can't remember him having a touch before he was subbed for an equally useless Lee Erwin in the second half.

    It seems churlish to complain about a 5000 crowd at Gigg, but for a Lancashire Derby against a club like Blackpool, and with 1500 away fans, I was disappointed with that home turnout, especially as we'd had 5000 home fans for the previous match against Rochdale.